Last updated: 24 May 2018
Who we are
Global Canopy collects, uses and is responsible for certain personal information about you. When we do so we are regulated under the Data Protection Act 1998 as amended and updated from time to time (DPA) and, with effect from 25 May 2018, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) which applies across the European Union (including in the United Kingdom) and we are responsible as ‘controller’ of that personal information for the purposes of those laws.
The personal information we collect and how we use it
We gather two types of information from you:
- Information your web browser gives us, such as your computer's IP address, your screen resolution and your geographic location. We also monitor your use of the website by seeing which pages you visit and how long you spend on them. We send this information to Google's "Google Analytics" service so that we can measure how effectively our website is at giving you the information you're after.
- Information you actively give us, which includes feedback on our website content or messages you send us. We use this information to deal with your request and never share this information with anyone outside of our business.
What we do with the information your computer gives us
When someone visits financingsustainablelandscapes.org we collect standard internet log information and details of visitor behaviour patterns. We do this to find out things such as the number of visitors to the various parts of the site. We collect this information in a way which does not identify anyone beyond any association stated in this policy.
We will not associate any data gathered from this site with any personally identifying information from any source. If we do want to collect personally identifiable information through our website, we will be up front about this and ask you. We will make it clear when we ask for personal information and explain what we intend to do with it.
"Cookies" are small files which your web browser transfers to your computer when you visit a site. They are widely used in order to make websites work, or to work more efficiently, as well as providing information to the owners of the site.
What are the cookies we use
Each cookie we use has a unique name which you can use to identify where it came from. Below is a list of the subject areas these cookis are based around and further details on their use:
- Google translate also creates its own set of cookies.
Please refer to these sites for their privacy policies.
Links to other websites
We feature links to external websites and have reciprocal website links with appropriate organisations and contribute content to other relevant sites. This privacy notice does not cover the links within this site linking to other websites. We encourage you to read the privacy statements on the other websites you visit.
Who we share your personal information with
We never share your information with other organisations for marketing, market research or commercial purposes, and we do not pass on your personal information to any other website.
We will share personal information with law enforcement or other authorities, but only to the extent required by applicable law.
We will not share your personal information with any other third party.
How long your personal data will be kept
For visitors to our website, we will generally keep your data for a period of 3 years, after which time it will be deleted from our systems if it is no longer required for the lawful purpose for which it is obtained.
Reasons we can collect and use your personal information
We rely on legitimate business interests as the lawful basis on which we collect and use your personal data. Our legitimate interests are:
- providing you with our services;
- monitoring the use of our website;
- ensuring that content from this site is presented in the most effective manner for you and your computer;
- contacting you about other services provided by Global Canopy, including the opportunity to support the charitable aims of the Foundation via donations and other financial contributions; and
- notifying you about changes to our services.
Transfer of your information out of the European Economic Area (EEA)
We host and store your data in the European Economic Area (EEA). We will not share your data with any third party within or outside the EEA.
By submitting your personal information to us when using this site, you agree to us storing and handling your personal information in this way.
Under the DPA and GDPR you have a number of important rights with regard to your personal data. In summary, those include rights to:
- request a copy of your information
- correct any mistakes in your information
- ask for your personal data to be erased
- restrict processing
- request data in a machine-readable re-useable form
- object to data processing
Please note that these rights are not absolute and on occasion these rights may be overridden by our need to comply with our legal obligations.
If you would like to exercise any of your rights, please:
- email or write to us at the addresses given below;
- let us have proof of your identity and address (a copy of your driving licence or passport and a recent utility or credit card bill); and
- let us know what right you are exercising and the information to which your request relates.
Keeping your personal information secure
We have appropriate security measures in place to prevent personal information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way. We limit access to your personal information to those who have a genuine business need to know it. Those processing your information will do so only in an authorised manner and are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We also have procedures in place to deal with any suspected data security breach. We will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected data security breach where we are legally required to do so.
Right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)
We hope that we can resolve any query or concern you raise about our use of your information. If you complain to us and are not satisfied with our response or believe we are processing personal data not in accordance with the law, you can contact the ICO. This link will take you to the ICO’s website: https://ico.org.uk/
How to contact us
Please contact us if you have any questions about this privacy notice or the information we hold about you.
If you wish to contact us please send an email to email@example.com or write to 3 Frewin Chambers, Frewin Court, Oxford, England, OX1 3HZ.
Global Canopy Foundation is a company limited by guarantee and is registered in England and Wales under company number 4293417 and has its registered office at 3 Frewin Chambers, Frewin Court, Oxford, England, OX1 3HZ. Global Canopy Foundation is a registered charity with number 1089110.